Tax Executives Institute, Inc. (TEI) has recently submitted comments in response to OECD’s public discussion draft on Action 15 re: technical issues for the upcoming Multilateral Instrument.
A link to TEI’s excellent comments are provided for reference:
Click to access TEI-Comments-BEPS-Action-15-Tax-Treaty-Related-Measures-June-29-2016.pdf
- Mandatory binding arbitration was not included, thus the increase in MAP cases seem inevitable.
- A “baseball” type of arbitration is recommended.
- All MAP cases should be eligible for arbitration.
- All signatories should adopt the Action 14 minimum standard.
- Countries should have the ability to choose what treaty-related BEPS measures it will adopt.
- Countries should have the ability to choose what treaty partners and relevant tax treaties would apply for various BEPS provisions.
- The modified provisions are only effective upon official ratification.
- A new peer process should be adopted for treaty interpretation.
The multilateral instrument is key to the consistent application of BEPS Actions, and the well-written TEI comments are highly recommended for all interested parties.
Leave a Reply