The Tax Executives Institute (TEI) has provided numerous comments re: Sec 965 positions as written in the law, supplemented by additional guidance.
Summary of comments:
- Cash position definition
- Foreign Tax Credit, double-counting of Earnings & Profits
- Dividends paid from a CFC to another CFC or a third party
- Hovering deficit taxes
- Stock basis election should be extended to 180 days, vs. 90 days per IRS guidance
- Changes in methods of accounting
- Anti-abuse rules
- CFC attribute mismatches
- Foreign tax credit adjustment
- “Applicable percentage” guidance
- Average FX rate, vs. year-end spot rate, used for measurement
- 2017 overpayments applied automatically to transition tax (Still an issue!)
- Penalty protection
The letter provides background and examples related to the comment areas, and should be reviewed to gain a further understanding of the complex dynamics that will hopefully be mitigated via the suggestions.