The European Commission has clearly announced it’s intent to be the global leader in advancing OECD’s BEPS initiatives, with some proposals exceeding the scope / intent of the OECD.
Copies of the following documents are provided for reference, with subsequent posts addressing highlights of significant initiatives. It is important to distinguish the documents between Proposals for a Council Directive, Communications, Studies and Recommendations.
- Anti Tax Avoidance Package
- Proposal for a Council Directive re: tax avoidance practices
- Proposal for a Council Directive re: automatic exchange of information
- Annex to automatic exchange of information proposal
- Communication on an External Strategy for Effective Taxation
- Annexes to the external strategy communication
- Communication re: Tax Avoidance Package
- Study on Structures of Aggressive Tax Planning & Indicators
- Recommendation on implementation of measures against tax treaty abuse
The documents are required reading for all international tax practitioners, as they highlight the complex post-BEPS world and the trend indicators for the near future. We can assume that some of these developments will proceed for action very quickly, thereby imputing a doctrine that “time is of the essence.”